Caustic soda is alkaline salt which is also called Lye. That is the general name of sodium hydroxide. This name is given because of the corrosive nature of this salt on animal and plants. It has various applications. Sodium hydroxide chemical formula is NaOH. You can buy caustic soda from various online sites.
Preparation for caustic soda
Sodium hydroxide can be prepared with various methods such as:
- Casner-Kellner Process
- Nelson diaphragm cells.
- The loewig process
Caustic soda properties
- This is a white solid that has a 591k melting point
- This is a stable compound.
- NaOH is bitter and has a soapy feel to it.
- It is very soluble in water and dissolves in alcohol.
- Sodium hydroxide is very alkaline.
Use of caustic soda
- This is used as a cleaning agent and in making washing soda.
- Sometimes, the hydroxide sodium is also used as a reagent in the laboratory.
- This is used in the preparation of limestone soda.
- It is used in aluminum extraction by purifying bauxite.
The Formation of caustic soda / NaOH
The amalgam formed is then transferred to another chamber called denuder. In the denuder, it is treated with water to obtain a sodium hydroxide solution. On evaporation of the solution, solid sodium hydroxide is formed. This is a very efficient process in order to obtain pure caustic soda.